Moray Rugby Club MORAY R.F.C
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC
  • Moray RFC

Moray Rugby Club


Senior Squads Training
6:30pm each Tuesday/Thursday
U13/U14 Training
6:30pm each Tuesday
MRFC Annual Dinner
7:30pm on 27th April 2018
Tartan Touch
6:30pm on 1st May 2018

MRFC Calendar

Photo Gallery

News Article

Wed 31st Oct 2018
Having led the fixture from the start, a try, 2 minutes from time, saw Moray 1st XV narrowly lose to Banff by 25 points to 22 in this Tennent’s Caledonia North 2 game.

Banff kicked off the game at Morriston but it was the home side who started the strongest and in the 12th minute, they took the lead.

A good passage of play took them into the 22 where the visitors went ‘over the top’ at a ruck.

A tap penalty was taken and driven towards the line and when halted, the ball was opened to stand-off Rory Millar who found the gap and made the line. He converted his own try for 7-0.

The Banff side started to play their way into the game and in the 28th minute made it 7-3 when they landed a penalty kick following an offside decision.

With no more points added in the first period, the Elgin side started the second half and within 4 minutes had stretched their lead. A big drive at a defensive scrum, 10 metres out, saw the visiting scrum-half pick up the ball only to be snagged by the Moray back-row.

A quick tap was taken from the resulting penalty for ‘holding on’ and after a couple of drives for the line, the ball was opened wide to replacement wing Lewis Scott who had the strength to barge over the line out wide. Millar superbly landed the difficult kick for 14-3.

Within 6 minutes, Banff reduced the lead to 14-8 with an unconverted try following some driving play by the forwards.

In the 56th minute, the home side again increased the lead.

Wing-forward Neil Wiseman picked up the ball at the base of a ruck on the half-way and broke before passing the ball to full-back Lachlan Jones.

He prodded the ball through and followed up by prodding the ball for a second time before touching the ball down as it rolled over the try-line.

Millar pulled the wide kick narrowly wide leaving the score at 19-8.

For a second time, Banff were quick to respond and 4 minutes later they narrowed the gap to 19-13 when following a series of penalties in the Elgin 22, they barged their way over the line.

In the 69th minute, the visitors were penalised for not releasing at the tackle. Millar landed the kick from 22 metres out to stretch the lead to 22-13.

Six minutes from time, Banff got themselves back into the game when they scored an unconverted try for 22-18 when they opened the ball wide after a number of driving phases by the forwards.

In the 78th minute, a mix up in defence following a speculative kick by the Banff stand-off towards the line, ended back in visitor’s hands to score the decisive try.

The conversion meant, at 22-25, a try was required to win and although Moray tried hard, the Banff side saw the game out.

It was a hard one to take as they had competed and played well, had led from the kick-off but had just failed in seeing the game out.

This Saturday (tomorrow), the Moray 1st XV are away on league business to Mackie Academy FP in Stonehaven.

Back to News

Caledonia 2 North

(2018/19 Results)
Highland 2nd XV 16 76
Garioch 16 67
Mackie 16 54
North Police 16 48
Ab'deen Gram 2nd XV 16 39
Moray 16 31
Ross Sutherland 16 25
Banff 16 11
RAF Lossiemouth 16 6

Last 1st XV Game

1st XV Season (2018/19)
North Police 47 - 26 Moray
30th Apr 19 - KO: 18:30
Venue: Westhill
:: Match Report

Next 1st XV Game

Sponsored by: