To introduce rugby into such a strong soccer stronghold as Elgin, took courage and was bound to bring setbacks. In fact, the first attempt was made as long ago as 1903 by the then rector of Elgin Academy. It was, however, not long before the oval ball was forced to give way to the round one.
Twenty years and World War 1 were to elapse before a second attempt was made and again the man responsible was a rector of Elgin Academy – Mr Iain Graham Andrew. As far as records show, the formation of the Moray Rugby Club took place on 3rd March 1923 at a meeting in the drillhall in Elgin. Mr George C. Christie was elected as president. It was agreed that it was feasible to form a club and application was sent to the Scottish Rugby Union to become an affiliated member.
In September 1923 the town council approved the use of part of the local Cooper Park for the game of rugby by the Club. The first match took place against Inverness Highland when Moray won 14 – 5. In these early days, the opposition came from Highland, Ross-shire, and the Army sides. The club adopted the colours of Elgin Academy – Red and White shirts with Navy Blue shorts.
In 1925 the Brin Cup was donated for competition among the clubs in the North. Up until the outbreak of war in 1939, Moray went on to win this cup several times.
After hostilities ceased in 1945, the Club reconvened in September 1946 with Dr Thow as president, and a dentist called George Cusetter as captain. The amount of Naval and R.A.F. personnel stationed around the Moray area gave the Club many more teams to play and also helped to improve the standard of play.
A Valuable nursery was provided by Elgin Academy. Such was the enthusiasm for the game that it was not uncommon for some of the Senior Schoolboys to play for the School in the morning and for Moray in the afternoon.
In 1960, the Club moved their playing field to Morriston Park, and was able to field 2 teams.
In 1973, the Club celebrated its 50th anniversary when the rugby enthusiastic in the area had the privilege of seeing several internationalists playing for the presidents XV against the Moray Select. The Club was honoured by the presence of Dr. J.R.S. Innes, then Vice President of the Scottish Rugby Union, who proposed a toast to the Club at the official dinner after the game.
In 1975-76 the Club joined the S.R.U. Schweppe League in the 7th division and, by the end of the season, were promoted to the 6th division. During the club’s peak in the early 1980’s, Moray reached the 5th division and ran 3 XV’s and a colts side.
The Club took another step forward when the Clubhouse was opened. This event was marked by a special game between the Presidents XV Select and the North Midlands Select on Sunday 25th October 1985. Special permission was obtained from the Scottish Rugby Union to play on a Sunday. After the game, the Clubhouse was opened by W.L. CONNON, the Vice President of the S.R.U.
The Club is managed by an executive committee made up of elected Club members. They meet on every second Wednesday of the month, the AGM of the Club is held in May.
Moray currently compete in Caledonia Division 2 (North West) and finished last year by winning the league but narrowly missing out on promotion to Caledonia Division 1.